When Prince George was incorporated in 1915, Council had several meeting places until 1918 when the old City Hall was constructed. The Hall was designed in 1916 by Henry Wilson at an approximate construction cost of $8,500. The hall was housed on the main floor. A gully ran in front of the Hall separating it from George Street. The Hall was approached by a wooden footbridge which spanned the gully where the cenotaph now stands. The steps of the Hall were a focal point and at times hosted bands and entertainment. It served as City Hall until 1966 when it was demolished.
The present City Hall opened in 1967 and is located on the original City Hall site. It still remains a public square which was originally designated on the original Grand Trunk Railway townsite plan of 1913. Further renovations undertaken in 1999 created The Customer Service Centre in the lobby and a covered walkway to the staff room, formerly the Scout Hall Annex.
- City Hall, 1974 -
City Hall is 44,700 square feet in size. The tower was expanded by 3 stories in 1975 and the facility received a major architectural, electrical and mechanical upgrade in 1998. City Hall contains a main floor customer service and call centre, and a state of the art council chamber with full audio/visual equipment designed for the weekly council meetings and for staff computer training at other times. The facility is fully wheelchair accessible and includes a hearing assist system in council chambers.
- City Hall, 2010-