By implementing policies that are connected and comprehensive, the City of Prince George realizes a sustainable future where the local environment is healthy and supports a robust economy and an enviable quality of life for residents.
Strong Relationships - continue to work cooperatively and progressively with its partners in the government, education, health, business and community sectors. The City will also continue to strengthen its relationship with the Lheidli T’enneh and Aboriginal organizations.
Strong Team - The City understands that progress on its sustainability priorities is made possible by a strong team, with Council and Administration working closely together to achieve corporate and community goals.
Citizens as Partners - The City will help shape a "sustainability consciousness" among residents by providing information and education and by encouraging individual action.
To provide for our human needs and maintain a high quality of life for everyone, the City of Prince George is committed to a population health approach to social development. Population health is an approach to health that aims to improve the health of the entire population and to reduce health inequities among population groups. In order to reach these objectives, it looks at and acts upon the broad range of factors and conditions that have a strong influence on our health.
A Population Health Approach:
- Addresses the Determinants of Health and their Interactions
- Bases Decisions on Evidence
- Increases Upstream Investments
- Applies Multiple Strategies
- Collaborates Across Sectors and Levels
- Employs Mechanisms for Public Involvement
- Demonstrates Accountability for Outcomes
The Social Determinants of Health:
At every stage of life, health is determined by complex interactions between social and economic factors, the physical environment and individual behavior. These factors are referred to as determinants of health. They do not exist in isolation from each other. It is the combined influence of the social determinants of health listed below that determines health status.
- Income and Social Status
Social Support Networks
Education and Literacy
Employment and Working Conditions
Personal Health Practices
Healthy Child Development
Sustainability of community driven efforts and service providers’ best practices requires a matching level of understanding and action within the institutions responsible for population health measures. As such, the City of Prince George is committed to fulfilling the role of local government in relation to the following social policy directions.
1. Affordable, Accessible Housing
2. Clear Identity and Pride
- Citizens of Prince George share a clear identity that the community can be proud of, with a strong downtown and connection to its rivers and natural surroundings.
3. Cultural Richness
- Citizens enjoy a rich cultural life, with more events, facilities, education and community involvement in the arts.
4. Equity and Inclusion
- People of all backgrounds, ethnicities and income levels can access services that help to meet their needs and improve their quality of life.
5. Health and Wellness
6. Safe Environment
- Prince George is a community where all citizens feel safe.
- The City of Prince George is facilitating the Communities that Care (CTC) prevention planning program. CTC is based on two approaches to prevention science, including promoting positive youth development and reducing risk factors which predict youth’s future involvement in problem behaviours. Check here for further information on Communities That Care.
7. Supportive and Engaged Community with Strong Neighbourhoods
- Prince George is a friendly and engaged community with strong social connections that recognizes, celebrates, and protects neighbourhood identities.
Interested in the City of Prince George Social Grants Program?