CITY OF PRINCE GEORGE – STRATEGY LEADER
The City of Prince George’s Select Committee on Homelessness and Affordable Housing is championing local government’s role in the development of affordable housing policy by:
- Adopting a
Housing First approach to the elimination of homelessness;
- Advocating for new affordable housing construction and the maintenance of existing forms of affordable housing;
- Determining where affordable housing units can be located using a comprehensive site selection criteria;
- Reviewing current and recommending new municipal bylaws and development regulations to support affordable housing initiatives and;
- Developing and enhancing partnerships with all levels of government, the local social service sector and forging new relationships with the private sector.
CITY OF PRINCE GEORGE – STRATEGY SUPPORTER/PARTICIPANT
- The City of Prince George is a member of the Community Partners Addressing Homelessness (CPAH). CPAH is a network of community partners providing an inclusive forum for research, planning and advocacy. It is dedicated to enhancing the community’s capacity to meet the needs of the homeless and those at risk of becoming homeless in Prince George.
COMMUNITY – COMPLEMENTARY STRATEGIES
- BC Housing provides operating subsidies to a number of not for profit agencies housing individuals in a range of settings from community based shelter beds to subsidized independent housing.
- The Aboriginal Business Development Centre operates a Rent Assist program.