The Communities That Care system provides strategic consultation, training and research-based tools to help the community work together to:
•promote the positive development of children and youth
•prevent adolescent problem behaviors—including alcohol and other drug use, delinquency, teen pregnancy, dropping out of school and violence.
The Communities That Care system has been designed to guide communities through five critical and challenging steps from community mobilization through outcomes evaluation.
Phase 1: Getting Started
Phase 2: Organizing, Introducing, Involving
Phase 3: Developing A Community Profile
Phase 4: Creating A Community Action Plan
The Communities That Care system is:
- It involves all parts of the community in promoting healthy development.
- It targets predictors of problems, rather than waiting until the problems themselves occur. It identifies and addresses priority predictors specific to your community, to promote positive development before young people become involved in problem behaviors.
- public health
- social work
- organizational development
- uses its own data-based community profile
- develops a focused, long-range community action plan for building on existing resources and filling any gaps with new resources
- chooses tested, effective programs, policies and practices that fit its profile, to fill identified gaps.
The CTC Board has completed Phase 4: Creating A Community Action Plan.
The accomplishments for this Phase are as follows:
The Community Board has:
- Identified priority risk and behavior outcomes for preventive action
- Worked with Dr. Catalano, Co-Founder of CTC to short-list a selection of prevention programs that respond to the community's unique risk and protection profile
Currently the CTC Board is preparing for Phase 5: Implementation by
- Reviewing and investigating implementation strategies for the Positive Action program for Prince George
- Ministry of Children and Family Development
- School District 57
- Northern Health
- United Way of Northern B.C.
- Prince George Youth Corrections
- Youth Around Prince George (YAP)
- Prince George Family YMCA
- Children First
* This is not a complete list of all representatives/organizations involved with this initiative.