More and more trees are planted in our downtown area, making it a more beautiful and hospitable place to work, shop and live. A walking tour of showcasing some beautiful trees in our city has been developed. Take along a copy of the brochure, you can download it here. Plan on about a 45 minute walk to take in the trees and the surrounding Fort George area.
Trees provide a multitude of social, economic, and environmental benefits:
- Filter the Air. Trees supply the oxygen we need to breathe and keep our air supply fresh by absorbing the carbon dioxide that we exhale and that which is emitted by vehicle engines.
- Lower Air Temperatures. Trees are natural air conditioners that lower air temperature by evaporating water in their leaves.
- Reduce Noise. Trees cut down noise pollution by acting as sound barriers.
- Reduce Dust & Pollen. Trees trap and filter out dust and pollen on their hairy leaf surfaces.
- Provide Shelter. Trees slow down strong wind and shelter us from direct sunlight on hot summer days.
- Stabilize Soil. Tree roots stabilize the soil and prevent erosion.
- Provide Beauty & Spiritual/Physical Health. Trees not only provide us with colour, flowers, and beautiful landscapes, they also provide contribute to our psychological wellbeing.
- Provide Screening. Trees camouflage unsightly scenes and break the monotony of endless roadways, sidewalks and lawns.
- Provide Privacy. Trees give us privacy from those nearby.
- Increase Property Value. Trees increase property values through a number of benefits.
- Provide Wildlife Habitat. Trees provide food and shelter for small birds and animals.
- Reduce Energy Costs. Trees properly located can significantly reduce home heating and cooling costs.
- Quality of Life. Trees give Prince George a better quality of life for its citizens.