The City of Prince George Signature
As with any other corporation of significant size, the image of the City of Prince George in the eyes of the public is formed by its actions and services, how it presents itself to the public, and how it is represented in its printed material, signage and its visual appearance in general. Both aspects — actions and appearance — are part of the City's corporate identity and form the corporate image.
The Parts of our City Signature
The fraise, used in the Coat of Arms to represent Simon Fraser, is used in the Signature to accentuate the importance of the base. In this context the fraise takes on additional symbolism. Its rounded shape resembles the hub and the spokes of a wheel (another symbol of the coat of arms) and stands for the centre, the hub of the north.
The Y-shaped base of the Signature symbolizes the convergence of the two rivers, Fraser and Nechako, the two intersecting roadways, Highway 97 and Highway 16, and the two railways, CNR and BC Rail.
In its most basic shape, the City Signature resembles a human figure and a tree. The human figure in its broadest meaning stands for the human resource, the northern spirit, the friendly people, the people that built this city and the people that make this city. The shape of the tree represents the natural resource and the wealth on which the City of Prince George was built.
In combination, the base and the fraise make for a Signature that stands tall and secure and communicates confidence in the future. It literally “stands” for the pride and pioneering spirit of northerners.
For the most part the wordmark, “City of Prince George” accompanies the fraise and base but eventually we anticipate that the fraise and base will automatically be associated with the City of Prince George, and in some instances the fraise and base may stand alone.
The copyright to the City Signature belongs to the City of Prince George. Reproduction of the City Signature in any form is possible only with the written consent of the Communications and Citizen Engagement Division. For permission to use a City signature or for more information on our visual standards please contact Tanya Spooner by phone at (250) 561-7610 or email at email@example.com. The visual standards were adopted by City Council on April 26, 1999.
The Coat of Arms of the City of Prince George
The City coat of arms may be used exclusively for the following purposes:
- Ceremonial applications
- Communications material from the Mayor's Office
- Statutory publications
The graphic of the coat of arms must always be used with the wordmark "City of Prince George" in a vertical format. Exceptions can be made only after consultation with the appropriate City Official.
Symbolism of the Arms
The colours blue and gold were chosen since blue suggests the waters of the rivers and gold the wealth and prosperity of the City and its region. The two wavy bars are a reference to the rivers - Fraser and Nechako - flowing together. Above are two snowflake crystals which tie in with the motto of the city, central to British Columbia, through which the development of the north is taking place. In the base or point of the shield is the “fraise”. This was intended as a play on the name of the founder, Simon Fraser. The same heraldic charge may be seen in the coats of arms of Simon Fraser University and in the District of Coquitlam for the same reason.
The Crest rises above the shield of arms. Here the mural crown was intended as a reference to the City's status. It looks back to the middle ages when all important cities were surrounded by a fortified wall. The railway wheel recalls the arrival of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway in 1914 and the British Columbia Railway in 1952. The moose head is a symbol favoured by the citizens and long used by the City.
The Compartment and Supporters
The word compartment refers to the grassy mount upon which the supporters stand. It rises from blue and white wavy bars, a standard method of representing water in heraldry, and together with the salmon are yet another reference to the rivers. The Compartment is strewn with branches and flowers of local flora. The eagle and the osprey are local to the area. To make each of the latter unique to Prince George they are “differenced” in this case by having their wings divided between the two colours. The partition or dividing line is described in heraldry as “embattled” as a reference to “Fort” George. In addition, each bird wears a ducal coronet, a reminder that the name of the City was changed in 1915 to honour His Royal Highness Prince George, Duke of Kent the fourth son of King George V and as such a descendant of King George III in whose reign the City was founded.
Shaping a Northern Destiny.
The copyright to the City Signature belongs to the City of Prince George. Reproduction of the City Signature in any form is possible only with the written consent of the Communications and Citizen Engagement Division. For permission to use a City signature or for more information on our visual standards please contact Tanya Spooner by phone at (250) 561-7610 or email at Tanya.Spooner@princegeorge.ca.
The Flag of the City of Prince George
The flag of the City of Prince George is taken from the shield area of the Coat of Arms. Information on the shield is available above.
The Badge of the City of Prince George