Commercial and Industrial
When applying for a commercial business licence or locating to a commercial or industrial area, confirm the following:
- Zoning Bylaw regulations and location suitability.
- BC Building Code requirements, Building Code Analysis, and Building Permit requirements for tenant improvements.
- BC Fire Code requirements and Fire Rescue Services inspection(s).
- Northern Health Authority requirements for food facilities (e.g. restaurant, stores, processor, mobile food, etc.) and personal service (e.g. salons, spas, esthetics, tattoo shops etc.).
- Note that a Development Permit, Building Permit, and/or Sign Permit may be required for interior or exterior renovations and/or if you are changing the type of business occurring at a location (e.g. converting retail space into a restaurant).
Mobile Food Vending
A licence is required for mobile food and sidewalk vending. For more information on business licence regulations, fire and health regulations, pre-approved vending locations, locations available for rent, and permitted hours of operation:
Home Business Regulations
The City's Zoning Bylaw restricts certain types of business activities from taking place in residential neighbourhoods to prevent disturbances to surrounding properties. There are also limitations on home business types and sizes and regulations on hours, parking, and storage.
Home businesses are divided into four categories with each category having its own set of regulations.
For more information on home business types: