The Changing Face of Downtown Prince George
City Council put into motion a number of recommendations set out 10 years ago in the "Smart Growth on the Ground - Downtown Prince George Concept Plan" as part of its commitment to renew the city centre.
prioritizing the Concept Plan, we're committed to creating a sustainable downtown area populated by thriving businesses and lively neighbourhoods and working towards a goal that has been discussed for many years.
And we're making progress.
The downtown core is home to a number of projects and developments focusing on revitalizing the city centre.
A new entryway for the Prince George Public Library and downtown student housing are currently under construction.
Multiple developments are taking place in the city centre and in surrounding downtown areas, including:
- Incentive programs for housing.
- Enhancing parks and trails in the area.
- Replacing and updating ageing infrastructure in preparation for the future.
- Beautifying our streets and surrounding areas with flower placements, banners, public art, and more.
Learn more about:
The City offers a number of tax and grant incentives to encourage new multi-family, mixed-use, commercial, and green construction projects in the downtown area as well as upgrades to existing developments. Some of these programs include:
- The Revitalization Tax Exemption Program
- The Northern Development Initiative Trust Community Revitalization Program
For more information:
Rezoning and the Official Community Plan
The Official Community Plan (OCP) is a statement of objectives and policies that guide decisions on planning and land use management in Prince George. Each property in the city is assigned an OCP designation.
Zoning divides Prince George into 45 standard zones and 10 site-specific zones and regulates, among other things, density, off-street parking and loading spaces, landscaping and screening requirements, and more.
Occasionally, landowners must rezone or amend the OCP to allow for new development or change of use.
- The rezoning process changes one zone to another.
- An OCP amendment changes a property's OCP designation to another.
For more information:
Downtown Development Highlights
Infrastructure and Beautification