The Select Committee on Poverty Reduction exists to advise Mayor, Council and City Staff on matters regarding the priorities, policies, and strategies affecting poverty reduction in Prince George.
The Committee will:
- Review relevant documentation including:
- The Province’s TogetherBC strategy as it relates to potential local government action.
- Recommendations made by the Select Committee on a Healthy City Framework related to poverty reduction.
- Key strategies identified by the community during a 2015 process funded and facilitated by the Ministry of Children and Family Development.
- Current City initiatives that contribute to poverty reduction.
- The 2019 Prince George Poverty Profile.
- Consider and integrate the advice and activities of other Council Committees with mandates aligned with poverty reduction.
- Prepare recommendations regarding strategies that the City of Prince George could implement to advance Council’s strategic priority related to poverty reduction.
- Endeavour to strengthen communication and collaboration between the City of Prince George and community partners working to advance poverty reduction strategies.
Committee members, to be appointed by their respective organizations, will include representatives, as follows:
- Two (2) members of Council (Councillor Krause and Councillor Ramsay).
- Up to seven (7) members including, as possible, representation from:
- School District 57
- Northern Health
- Community Partners Addressing Homelessness (CPAH)
- Student Society (NUGSS and/or CNC Student Union)
- Local Food Bank
- Prince George Native Friendship Centre
- Local Food Prince George
- In addition, up to four (4) members will contribute to the advancement of shared vision for poverty reduction through their affiliation with:
- The Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction Strategy Advisory Committee
- BC Office of the Seniors Advocate Advisory Committee or the Prince George Council of Seniors
- City of Prince George Advisory Committee on Accessibility
- Ministry of Social Development & Poverty Reduction – Prince George
Meeting Schedule, Agendas, and Minutes