Building Permits

Construction vehicles working on the inside of the Canfor Leisure Pool.

Building permits are required for most types of construction, whether it's a new home, a commercial building, or the renovation or expansion of an existing property.

The City of Prince George improves public safety by ensuring buildings comply with City bylaws and British Columbia Building and Plumbing Codes. The City issues building, plumbing, and sign permits and provides advice on building-related matters to Council, other City divisions, and the public.

Have a question about building permit requirements? Ask the Permit and Zoning Chatbot.

Do you need a permit?

Applying for a permit

BC Energy Step Code requirements

The BC Building Code requires that all new builds must be 20 per cent more energy-efficient than the previous base building code requirements, which is Step 3 for Part 9 buildings, and Step 2 for Part 3 buildings. 

Local governments have the authority to require builders to meet one or more steps prior to the mandatory implementation of the BC Energy Step Code in December 2022. The advantage of this is to prepare builders and designers for the upcoming provincial requirement of Step 3 for Part 9 buildings, and Step 2 for Part 3 buildings.

Effective September 1, 2022, all Part 3 and Part 9 buildings must comply with Step 1. A building constructed to Step 1 is intended to have as good or better energy performance as a reference building constructed to the BCBC’s minimum prescriptive requirements for energy efficiency. As such, Step 1 of the BC Energy Step Code is intended to help builders familiar with traditional prescriptive codes make a smooth transition to building to performance codes that are focused on outcomes.

Achieving Step Code compliance

Sign permits

If you need a sign permit, you can apply for one by downloading the sign permit application form and emailing the completed package to

Sign Permits on Highway 16 / 97

Where a digital sign is proposed within 300 m of a provincial highway right-of-way, approval may be required by the Minister of Transportation. Please also note that the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure also requires a minimum 4.5 m setback for any building or structure, from all highway rights-of-way under Ministry jurisdiction, except where access is provided from a flanking street the minimum setback is 3.0 m.

For more information, please see the Ministry's Policy for Digital and Projected Advertising Displays, Technical Circular T-04/22 or webpage on setbacks and highway use permits.

Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure  
Fort George District Office
360 – 1011 4th Avenue 
Prince George, BC  V2L 3H9 

Preparing your project

With your permit in tow, you're now ready to start your project. Here are some tips on what you can do to prepare your project site and minimize the possibility of hiccups happening along the way.

Getting ready