Do you have inside and/or outside closed-circuit television (CCTV) camera installed at home or at your business? Help keep your community safe by volunteering to register your CCTV camera(s) with the City of Prince George to help provide security footage for RCMP investigations. The process is confidential and your participation helps local law enforcement investigations by:
- Quickly identifying the location and owners of potential sources of video evidence.
- Decreasing the time, effort, and cost of gathering video evidence.
How it Works
- Register your camera(s) with the City by providing your camera location(s) and contact information. This program is open to businesses and private individuals with CCTVs on their property.
Note: Additional steps are needed to register business CCTVs (see the Questions and Answers section for more information).
- If the RCMP believes your camera(s) might have captured footage relevant to an investigation, they will contact you using the information you submitted when registering.
- The owner provides relevant footage directly to the RCMP, at their own discretion, on a case-by-case basis.
- This program is voluntary. You do not become an employee or agent of the City of Prince George if you register.
Your privacy is protected. Your contact details are stored securely, you own your footage, and you decide what video – if any – to provide to the RCMP. Participants may opt out at any time and police do not automatically have access to the footage.
Questions and Answers
2. Will the City have access to my cameras any time it wants?
We only ask for your camera location(s) and a way to get in touch with you. Please note you can only register cameras you own and manage.
You do not volunteer to give City staff direct access to your equipment or footage.
3. What happens to the information I submit when I register for the program?
The City will securely and confidentially manage your information. We have safeguards in place to protect your personal information against risks like unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, or disposal.
Your camera and contact details will only be shared with law enforcement for the sole purpose of identifying potential recorded video footage relating to an investigation.
4. What happens if my cameras record footage relevant to an investigation?
Law enforcement will contact you directly using the information you gave the City during the registration process.
Your registration information is reserved for official use by the City of Prince George and will not be released by the City unless required by law. The City will never release your information unless it is required for an active investigation.